Kesel Construction Heritage

'KESEL Construction have a team dedicated - new text

 

Refurbishment and extension of a protected structure where all works were required to be carried out to Conservation Standard.

 

Works included removal of existing asbestos roof finish, repairs and refurbishment of defective roof timbers including treatment, new natural slate roof finish, removal of defective plaster internally & externally and re-plaster with lime plaster including rule and line finish, refurbishment of existing timber sash windows and construction of extension to rear of building inc. all drainage and utilities connections.

 

 

Refurbishment & Extension of Oughterard Courthouse, Oughterard

Rehabilitation of Pat Randall’s Bridge,

Co. Mayo

Rehabilitation works to bridge which is listed as a protected structure and located in Laghtavarry, Ballyvary, Co. Mayo. The client was Mayo County Council and the remit of the project was to repair structurally damaged elements and to return the bridge to its original form and performing the same functions without any loss in character. Elements of the works included removing of the existing road surface on both approaches and taking down specified areas of the existing parapet walls whilst keeping the remainder in place; construction of new reinforced concrete foundations and retaining walls to support new stone parapet walls; piling of the ground beneath the road level to support the construction of new reinforced concrete road deck; construction of new walls to match existing stonework; laying of new road surface to concrete deck; pressure grouting to the stoneworks and pointing stonework walls in lime. Project had many elements of work including traffic management due to road closure, heritage works due to the historical significance of the bridge and environmental due to the close proximity of the works to the waterways.

Refurbishment works at Moate and Castletown railway stations, Co. Westmeath

Moate and Castletown Railway Stations were disused. The stations comprised of a number of protected structures which were in very poor condition both structurally and aesthetically, roofs were in various stages of disrepair and collapse, windows and doors were broken and had been boarded up to prevent trespass and anti-social behaviour. There was a significant amount of graffiti on the brickwork, stonework and rendered walls. Brickwork and rendered walls had been painted over and timber cladding was in disrepair.

 

Westmeath County Council was constructing a cycleway at the time (Galway to Dublin Greenway) adjacent to the existing railway track between Mullingar and Athlone which passed through the Moate and Castletown railway stations. The contract comprised of the refurbishment of various railway station structures as part of that project.

 

The Works included roof demolition inc. asbestos removal and reconstruction, structural timber and structural steel supports, timber cladding, installation of security doors, paint and graffiti removal, repairs to brickwork and stonework including re-pointing and bricking up of window and door opes to match existing.

 

Church of the Immaculate Conception, Oughterard, Co Galway

 

Consolidation, Stabilisation and Remedial Works to Towers and Sacristy Roof, Church of the Immaculate Conception, Oughterard, Co Galway.

 

The church, situated in Canrawer townland, is no.670 on Galway County Council's Record of Protected Structures. It is a large Gothic style cruciform plan church with flanking towers and bell tower, dating from 1829. The rough dash rendered facade has crenellations, finials and pointed opes. Modified externally and internally, stone porch and other extensions added. The interior has an open truss roof and a Harry Clarke 3‐light stained glass window, dated 1933. The church is thought to be the oldest Catholic church in Connemara.

 

The project consisted of the carrying out of stabilisation and remedial works to the church towers: the bell tower and the two towers flanking the entrance facade, and the re-covering of the sacristy flat roof. The aim of the works was to stabilize and make safe the towers' structure and to waterproof the tower roofs and the roof of the sacristy.

 

Conradh na Gaeilge, 45 Dominic St, Galway

The buildings requiring repair were part of a ‘Protected Structure’. Works required removal of existing asbestos roof, repairs to the roof structure including removal of decayed timbers, repair to masonry (stone) structures using existing stone and new lime mortar, construction of new metal clad roof, new lime render, installation of new timber fabricated doors and electrical services. Recording and photographic record of work was essential due to protected structure status.

Marconi Project, Clifden, Galway

Development of Discovery Point at Derrigimlagh, Wild Atlantic Way’s inaugural key ‘Signature Discovery Points’ in association with Fáilte Ireland and Galway County Council, to enhance the site which was the setting for two outstanding technological achievements of the 20th century: the Marconi Wireless Station, the world’s first commercial transatlantic wireless station in 1907; and twelve years later (in 1919) when Alcock and Brown landed on the site marking the first nonstop, Trans-Atlantic flight.

 

The works provide visitors with car parking facilities and a looped walk through a bog landscape of outstanding natural beauty where they can discover the stories of this famous site. The walk is augmented by a number of attractive features which are designed to engage visitors and encourage them to interact with the history of the location.

 

Construction of the works were complex due to the remote location and ground conditions, the car Park was constructed on peat base with double geotextile layer technique and stone filling with the historical names which make the site significant cast in to the concrete entance area.  A large concrete walkway projecting over the bog landscape brings visitors from the car park to beginning of the looped walk. The looped walk constructed through the boggy terrain interchanges between flat and bridged boardwalks, flagstone paths and stone walkways.

 

Raford House, Athenry, Co. Galway

 

Removal of existing roof finishes and treatment of existing roof timbers including and reinstating of defective timber from a listed building. The works were carried out under the guidance and specifications of the Conservation Officer of Galway County Council.

Dylans Restaurant

Abbeygate Street, Galway

This project consisted of the removal of existing roof structure and all internal floors, façade retention and reinstatement of new floors and roof. The works were challenging in that the project presented many restrictions and obstacles which had to be managed correctly and the existing building fabric was of high archaelogical & heritage significance. Structural works included mini piling foundations, retention of existing façade and structure, integration of new structures with existing fabric. Due to the city centre location the finishes had to replicate the building prior to the works, ie natural roof slates, re-pointing stone, timber sash windows. The project also included a complete fit out of seating and kitchen areas.

Kesel Construction, Hanley Buildings, Claregalway. Co. Galway. Phone: 00353 91 395724 :: email: info@kesel.ie

Kesel Construction Ltd, 79 College Road, Harrow, Greater London, HA1 1BD, UK;

Phone: +44 (0)2036273768; email: info@kesel.co.uk

Halo Nightclub, Abbeygate Street, Galway

This project consisted of a complete refurbishment of an existing 24,000 Sq. Ft. Nightclub. During the course of this refurbishment there was constant liaison with Galway City Council in relation to existing medieval feature walls and other significant archaelogical & heritage structures. Works included removal of all existing finishes & fixtures & installation of new lighting & sound systems and complete new fit out of bar, toilet & communal areas.

Educational Facility at Caherconnell

Stone Fort, Carron, Co.Clare

Construction of new educational facility including classrooms, administration offices, sluice rooms, toilets and locker rooms. The works were designed and constructed to match the existing surrounding landscape and buildings and included finishes such as natural stonework, natural slate and galvanised roofing. The works also included for the refurbishment of an existing residential block and conversion to a student accommodation.

 

Designed by:  Bullet Design